Development Review Specialist-1FRANKLIN COUNTY GOVERNMENT CENTER
Development Review Specialist Full Time
Franklin County, VA, is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Development Review Specialist I, with the Planning & Community Development. Position reviews non-discretionary applications for various land development permits, inspects permitted development sites, and enforces the County Code. Minimum of two (2) years experience in the field of land planning, engineering, surveying, design, environmental science, public administration, or closely-related field required; bachelor's degree pref. Salary depends on qualifications experience, minimum salary $32,233 with excellent benefits.
Under the supervision and direction of the Development Review Coordinator, this position performs professional work reviewing non-discretionary applications for various land development permits, and assists in inspections and enforcement of the County Code as it relates to Zoning, Erosion & Sediment Control, Stormwater Management, Subdivision, Manufactured Homes, and Water and Sewer regulations. Works extensively and continually builds working relationships with citizens and developers to resolve situations of non-compliance with adopted regulations.
Position is supervised by the Principle Planner. The position requires coordination among the County's Development Services partners, including Building Inspections, Economic Development, Public Works, Virginia Department of Health, Virginia Department of Transportation, Western Virginia Water Authority, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation, etc.
- Reviews and approves applications for: Zoning permits; Land Use permits; Subdivisions; Site Plans; and other non-discretionary applications of County Code.
- Manages the routing of permit applications to various review agencies; collects and synthesizes review comments; communicates comments to applicants.
- Performs inspections for compliance with approved permits.
- Assists in the enforcement of County regulations related to land development, including issuance of Notices of Violation and similar correspondence to attain compliance with adopted regulations.
- Serves in the capacity of Inspector, in accordance with state-mandated requirements for Erosion & Sediment Control and Stormwater Management. Maintains appropriate state certifications for inspections.
- Reviews and maintains adequate surety (bonds, letters of credit, cash escrow accounts) for plans and permits that require surety. Performs inspections to ensure work is completed and satisfactory prior to release of surety.
- Provides general assistance to and fields inquiries from citizens, developers, design professionals, and other community stakeholders, on issues related to non-discretionary permit requirements.
- Recommends legal action to enforce County Ordinances, prepares case chronologies and presents evidence in court as required.
- Maintains case files of complaints, violations and inspections and prepares monthly and yearly reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledges, Skills and Abilities
Professional working knowledge of state and local regulations related to land development. General knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of planning and zoning. Professional working knowledge of County legal procedures as related to the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with property owners, building contractors, surveyors, engineers, County Officials and the general public. Ability to thoroughly understand and assist customers with complying with code, and enforce County regulations with firmness, tact, respect and impartiality.